As Americans throughout the country turn their attention to 2012 and how to achieve great health and happiness, FastMed Urgent Care is offering “The FastMed Top 10 List for a Healthier 2012″ for neighbors throughout the communities served by FastMed.
Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, NC – FastMed Offers Healthy Ideas for Everyone’s New Year’s Resolutions List
“In cities and towns throughout North Carolina, we’re gearing up for the winter season and we all know that can mean increased illnesses and injuries,” said Melvin G. Lee, M.D., Chief Medical Officer, FastMed North Carolina. “The best way to combat health challenges throughout the year is with a solid plan that addresses your health needs across the board; that’s why we developed The FastMed Top 10 List for a Healthier 2012.”
The FastMed Top 10 List for a Healthier 2012 includes:
1. Exercise: The perennial New Year’s resolution doesn’t need be drudgery. In fact, you’re much more likely to remain active if you start simple, such as walking 15 minutes every day, taking the stairs at work, starting and ending the day with simple stretching exercises. Think “active” as not having to live like a pro athlete but rather active in your daily living. Keep moving.
2. Balanced Eating: Notice we didn’t use the word “diet” – we coach our patients to think about ongoing lifestyle eating habits by getting the right balance of proteins, carbohydrates and fats, including plenty of fruits and vegetables, low salt and portion control. But allow yourself an occasional treat – your eating lifestyle doesn’t have to feel like work.
3. Stress Control: Stress can lead to all kinds of health issues, so de-stress by doing something YOU enjoy on a daily or weekly basis as your schedule permits, and at least once or twice a month volunteer to help others – the rewards can take the pressure out of your normal routine.
4. Sleep: Getting at least eight hours of sleep improves your mood, overall appearance and wellbeing; but if you can’t get eight hours, don’t feel guilty about catching a quick nap during the day – the health rewards are good for everyone in your life.
5. Sunscreen: Your skin is resilient, tough and delicate all at the same time, and it’s your first line of defense against the elements. You can’t live without your skin, so taking care of it is essential. Your skin’s biggest risk is over-exposure to the sun, which can lead to premature aging, scaring and potentially deadly cancers. So sunscreen about 20 minutes in advance when you know you’re going to be outside, reapply regularly, and do so throughout the year, not just in summertime.
6. Safe Driving: When people get behind the wheel of a car, they bring all the distractions and pressures of life with them. That’s why it’s so important to limit any additional distractions, which of course includes not driving drunk or drugged out, but also no texting and driving, or using one hand to talk on the phone.
7. Flu Shot: Make sure you get your flu shot in the fall, no matter where you live because the flu can crop up anywhere. And make sure you encourage your family and friends to get their flu shots, too. It also helps to stop the spread of flu, too.
8. Annual Physical: In health care, we don’t like surprises, and neither should you. Everyone should give the gift of an annual physical to themselves, regardless of age. It’s how healthcare providers ensure your health, catch any problems early and establish a supportive relationship so that they’re there to help when you need them.
9. Senior Care: If you have seniors in your life who have Medicare, be sure they know they can get a complete health screening and plan once a year from their medical provider, and it’s totally covered by Medicare. The piece of mind that comes from a good screening and a solid plan can help not just the seniors in your life, but can help reduce your stress level, too.
10. Teen Skin Care: Teenage years are enough of a challenge, but they don’t have to include acne. Get the teens in your life a clinical approach to treating acne to care for it once and for all. They’ll feel better about themselves, and you’ll feel better about their well being.
About FastMed Urgent Care:
FastMed Urgent Care is a North Carolina-based owner and operator of urgent care facilities focusing on the delivery of non-appointment based medicine to the non-emergency patient market. In partnership with physicians and other healthcare professionals, FastMed operates 33 urgent care centers with a primary concentration in the Raleigh, North Carolina and Phoenix, Arizona metropolitan areas. The urgent care centers are open 365 days a year and are staffed with experienced and licensed physicians, physician assistants and nurse practitioners. FastMed is owned by the Comvest Group (comvest.com).
Director of Community Relations
FastMed Urgent Care North Carolina
r.heyden ( @ ) fastmed dot com